SEO Ranking on top positions on Google and the other search engines could improve greatly your company’s exposure and help to increase your ROI. Unfortunately creating a successful website is not as easy as designing and uploading a few pages.
In order for a website to be successful and to rank well in Ireland it needs to generate enough traffic. The most quality and cost-effective traffic comes from SEO (organic) rankings.
You have been waiting for a long time and your site is still struggling to reach first page positions. You are asking your self what have been you doing wrong?
Take into account some of the following possibilities that could have a negative influence on your webiste’s SEO ranking.
1) Your site looks great but it still does not rank on top positions in Ireland
The look and functionality of your website are closely linked to its ability to rank well on Google and the other search engines. In order for a website to have a bigger chance to succeed it is essential to be designed with SEO requirements in mind.
If you have invested a lot of time and money for an eye-catching website design that you really like but it is not SEO friendly that will definitely lead to some ranking issues down the line.
Some of the issues that could be holing your site from higher SEO rankings are:
- Insufficient Content – It is very common for small business websites to have too little information on some or all pages of the website. Visitors need more content in the form of description, images and videos in order to make up their minds whether or not to buy your product or service.
- Difficult Navigation – your site’s navigation design has a great impact on its SEO ranking positions. The navigation should be intuitive and very easy to understand so that it does not lead to confusion and high bounce rates as a result.
- No Blog or News Section – it is essential for a good SEO ranking to publish fresh content on regular basis on your site. The reasons for this is that all search engines aim to offer relevant and up-to-date information to their users.
- Speed Issues – your site may look amazing but if it loads slowly this could have a negative effect on your organic rankings.
2) Your competitors are investing more time and resources in SEO
You need to constantly improve your website in order to achieve and maintaining high rankings and to stay ahead of the competition. It is also very important to be aware of your competitors’ SEO strategies and activities. Knowing the strengths and weaknesses of your online rivals is key for your SEO ranking success. That is why conducting a detailed website competitor analysis could be of great benefit for you.
3) You have not optimised your site to rank for the right keywords
People are finding your site based on the keywords and keyword phrases that you have used in your content throughout your website. Well optimised website content with carefully selected keywords helps to connect searchers to your site.
It is very important that you are aware of how people are searching for products and services as the once you are offering. It is pointless to use complicated keywords (that very few searchers would be familiar with) and to expect to have good website traffic.
Developing and updating an SEO keyword list is very beneficial for the success of your SEO rankings and marketing campaign. You need to make sure that your organic keywords are relevant to your audience’s search choice.
4) The keywords that you have optimised for are too competitive
It is a good practice to do an SEO keyword research on regular basis. Organic keywords need to be reevaluated from time to time. Sometimes it is a better option to substitute highly competitive keywords with longer keyword phrases. This will bring more quality visitors to your site that would be more likely make a purchase. After all, the quality the traffic coming to your site is more important than the quantity.
5) You just launched your website but it does not rank in the search reasults
One of the biggest problems when launch a new website is that it does not appear in the search results of Google and the other search engines. The time for a new site to appear online varies greatly. It could take between 4 days to 4 weeks for a site to be indexed by Google.
Many new businesses invest in the design and support of their website but they do not purchase an SEO package as they are not aware of its benefits. The truth is that if your site is not optimised for organic search and you are not investing any money in paid advertisement, your website will not have good SEO rankings.
6) You do not have any internal links
Internal links are links that connect all the content on your site and help Google to get a better idea of its structure. By following the internal links on your site Google can find out which pages have similar topics and there for figure out the relationship between them.
The main benefits of internal link building are:
- They help users to easily find and go through the content on your site.
- They help to establish hierarchy on your website.
- Help to distribute link equity around your site.
7) You have poor-quality content that is too short and not well optimised
Website content is an important part of the SEO ranking success. Pages with quality content will rank highly for relevant keyword queries. It is essential to have an idea of the keywords and search phrases that people would use to look for your products and services.
Creating content for your site without knowing what your audience is looking for is pointless as you would not get any organic traffic. After all the purpose of SEO is to help potential and existing customers to find you easily online.
It is important that your site’s content is organised in a logical way as this will help visitors to find quickly what they are looking for. This will have a positive effect on your SEO efforts too. Pages with unique quality content that have been optimised for the right keywords will rank higher than pages with poor content.
8) Your pages take far too long to load
Site speed / page speed is one of the many ranking factors that affect directly your sites’s ranking ability. Page speed have a big influence on user experience. That is why longer loading time is very likely to result in higher bounce rates and poor conversion rates.
The speed at which a page loads is determined by a number of different factors such as the site’s server, the size of the page, size and amount of images, redirects and broken links, etc.
You could do a free speed test to check your pages’s performance at Page Speed Insights. It is a free tool that analyses your page’s loading time on both mobile and desktop devices. Page Speed Insights provides you with report that offers suggestions on what improvements could be done to make your website faster. Page speed is a big SEO ranking factor that needs to taken into account during the optimisation process.
9) Low quality or quantity of back links
Back links are another very important SEO factor . They are created when one website links to another. These are external links that could come from social media websites, blog posts other websites or directories.
Back links have a huge impact on search engine rankings and it is better if they come from websites within your niche or industry. The quality of back links depends on the domain authority of the website. The higher domain authority the better. A higher domain authority means that the website is more trustworthy and has a bigger chance to rank higher.
Low quality and high quantity back links means that you are generating lots of links with considerably less value. In this case you risk to get links from spammy websites and this could have very negative effect on your SEO ranking strategy.
10) Technical Issues
Some common technical SEO issues that could affect your sites’s performance are:
- your site is not indexed correctly – if a website is not indexed by search engines users will not be able to find it.
- no XML sitemap – without it Google would not be able to access all the pages on your site.
- no https security – the security protocol protects all communication as well as customer information.
- duplicate content – similar or identical content that shows up on more than one page on the same domain or across other domains.
- broken links – links that no longer work
- your site is not mobile friendly – responsive design helps visitors to easily access the content and use your site on their phone or tablet.
If your website looks great but it does not consistently attract and retain visitors that convert into customers this will have a negative impact on your business’ revenue. In this case it might be a good idea to hire an SEO expert.
An experienced SEO consultant or an SEO company will review your website SEO rankings. They will identify the strengths, weaknesses and SEO opportunities. A good online marketing expert will build their strategy around all three SEO optimisation levels – technical, on-page and off-page to maximise the SEO ranking success of your site.