The Pros and Cons of SEO & PPC
Find out what is the better option for your online business…
Business owners often ask themselves whether SEO or PPC is the better option to advertise their business and attract more leads to their website. Like everything else both Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) and Pay Per Click (PPC) have negative and positive sides. What is more important is that these two types of online advertisement are more powerful together as they compliment and help each other.
Every company has a marketing budget to work with and very often that budget is too tight to include both SEO management and PPC marketing.
Here are some of the main pros and cons of SEO and PPC that will help you decide whether your company should focus on organic search engine optimisation or paid advertisement to achieve maximum online exposure. Please, keep in mind that there is no right or wrong choice. Both SEO and PPC could have a positive impact to your online business but the costs are different.
Search engine optimisation (SEO) is the process of making your website user and search engine friendly in order for it to rank higher in online search results and there for to attract more traffic to your website.
1) Marketing Statistics show that without a doubt organic search results alone bring more traffic than all other paid channels for online advertisement put together. This means that SEO marketing alone would drive more traffic your site than paid search channels and Social Media advertisement.
2) SEO has a long lasting effect – optimising your website takes time but it is definitely worth it. Your website visitors would be more likely to stay longer on your site and return to it as SEO pays attention to important factors such as user experience. This means that your site will load faster, the content will be more engaging and visitors will be able to easily find what they are looking for. When your site is well optimised search engines will naturally push it higher in the search results.
3) It is the cheapest of all other paid online platforms for advertisement. For PPC you need to set a budget and if you go over your daily budget you have to decide whether to stop showing your ads or exceed your initial budget. Your website will appear in search results as long as you pay for it. Contrary to that if your site ranks high organically you do not have to worry about how much you spend on a daily basis for advertisement and that if you stop paying your site will disappear from the search results.
1) The biggest disadvantage to SEO marketing is that it takes more time in order to see some results compared to paid advertisement. It usually takes from 3 to 6 months to notice the positive change in your website rankings. It is a slower and more complicated process that pays off in the long run.
2) There is never guarantee that your website will always rank number 1 and it will stay there for long period of time. There are new competitors appearing all the time. Search engines constantly change their requirements for website rankings.
3) Search engine optimisation is an ongoing process. This means that there is constantly something to be done to your website in order for it to be well optimsed. Especially if you are adding and removing content from it on a regular basis.
What is PPC and how does it work?
PPC that is also known as cost per click is an online advertising method used by advertisers to promote their products and services and drive more traffic to their websites. They pay Adwords, Bing ads, Facebook Ads to display their ads on their network. The network charges the advertisers money whenever a visitor clicks on their ads.
1) You will get instant results. You will bid for the relevant
keywords and your site will be listed in Goole’s results. You do not need to wait for your site to obtain higher rankings in order for it to appear on first pages of search engines.
2) You will be able to see exactly how much you have spent for online advertisement and will be able to calculate your return on investment.
3) You can pause and start your PPC campaigns at any time. This means that if for example your business have low and high seasons or you are doing some changes to your website you have the ability to stop your paid advertisement and start it whenever you decide it is time to do so.
1) Paid advertisement could be very costly with no return on investment in some cases. You could be spending thousands of euro every month without any return on that money.
2) If you stop paying for advertisement your website will stop appearing in search results and this means that there will be no traffic to your site and there for no sales.
3) If your site is not well optimised and it does not offer good user experience and people are not able to find what they are looking for you will be wasting your money. People will click the adds that lead to your site but if they do not like what they see they will leave immediately and will continue searching.
Both SEO strategy and PPC are powerful ways to advertise your business online and it is best if you combine them for best results. If you have a smaller budget and want long lasting results SEO would be more suitable for your online business. If you want traffic to your site immediately and you are willing to spend a bit more money PPC would be a better option for you.